Sunday 2 January 2011

The Birth of a Critic

I confess, I studied for my degree at Goldsmiths College. I may have even conformed to the Goldsmiths stereotype I critiqued in my dissertation. I had to; to get the marks! Studying at Goldsmiths turned me into a harsh art critic. Was it the critiques I was faced with on a weekly basis, or the (often crap) art I was subjected to? A few of my old peers feel the same, as we often feel hatred towards 'modern' or contemporary art and its pretentiousness, or "wankiness" as I like to call it. There is always some distaste for fashionable art (I like to think).

But like any art lover, I have an instictive appreciation for artworks; that I pretend is superior and unquestionnable. I like to believe I know when art works are great, unique or 'genius'. If I had the money, I'd give collecting a go to see if the market agreed with me, but until then, I'll stick to sharing my opinions of wanky contemporary art; and even of the antiquities I adore. My opinions are not superior or unquestionnable at all, but a critic has been born! And you can always critique a critique.

No comments:

Post a Comment