Monday 3 January 2011

Books Vs Films


Without sounding like a complete geek, actually I think it might be unavoidable, I'd like to talk about the Twilight and Harry Potter books/films. No matter how much “jip” -I've never used that word in my life and have no idea how it is spelt- the books receive for being teen/kids books, they make an excellent read! The Twilight books got me so hooked I got my girlfriend's brother to drive me to the town centre so I could spend what little money I had to live on getting the next one; after spending an entire day searching the MANY charity shops on Bristol's Gloucester Road, (I know, I could have just waited and borrowed it from a library/my mum days later). The point was... they are undeniably good books despite their lack of literary splendour.

It's the same with Harry Potter. At university my friends and I constantly got into a debate about this; we had one friend in particular who argued that people's reaction to the books made him feel ashamed of society because they are “kids books” and are completely unchallenging, simple and idiotic. We would all argue that no matter what the style of writing was like, it should always be seen as a positive that something was able to get people excited about reading again. Despite all of the debates around whether it deserves as much credit as it receives, the point is; they are actually probably the most enjoyable books I have ever read. I, like many others I know, can read them over and over again and will always find new little twists or snippets of humour that I missed the other 20 times... The characters, plot and secrets are so well thought out, planned and cleverly arranged that it does not matter if the language is simple! The way the spells reference actual Latin meanings, and the fact that J.K invents an entire world that co-exists among our own in such a believable, yet remarkably creative way make these books nothing less than genius. OK, I confess, I am a big geek.

I got a little carried away there, (you should have seen these debates; poor John). But what I really came here to discuss is the film adaptations. It must be hard; everyone knows that a book can contain far more detail, character development, insight and description than a 2-3 hour film. I'll give them that; it must be hard. Sometimes they do it quite well, considering.

But, I tell you what it shouldn't be so hard to do... Cast people that can act! When you read a book you do not know exactly what a character would look like; yet this seems to be what the casting is based on. What about the ability to portray a character? Maybe it is the director's faults. Maybe a character is too subjective, but I just know that Daniel Radcliffe's “I'm a, I'm a what...?” is the most cringe-worthy line I've ever seen delivered. And Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan is just as bad; yes she is hot (I mean, looks the part) and captures the moody teenager quite well, but I don't for one second believe that she even knows who Edward is, let alone love him. For example, in New Moon, when they're with the Volturi and she's telling them not to hurt Edward, she may as well be asking them not to hurt a fly. Even Robert Pattinson, yes he's "cute" but is he "Edward"? Er, no.

I must admit, with book adaptations the rules of film seem to change. It seems the only circumstance in which the sequels are better than the original. It's like they get better with practise. I wouldn't even dream of trying to re-watch Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and cringe at New Moon, but Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and Eclipse are much more satisfying.

That brings me on to another thing. It's a sad enough fact to know that some parts will have to be missed out, but to have the CHEEK to change the story! Like in The Order of the Phoenix; where Harry is idiotically waiting underneath and watching Dumbledore get killed without attempting to stop Malfoy, instead of being forced to the wall by Dumbledore as in the books... is RIDICULOUS and downright annoying.

And yet I always look forward to the next movies. If only there were a way to watch the entire book exactly how it plays out in your head when you read it. I mean, not that I like Twilight or Harry Potter...

No comments:

Post a Comment